What is a Gap Year?
A ‘gap’ is a period of time taken by students as a break between finishing high school and starting college or university. Typically it is for one year, but it can also be for one semester (half a year).
10 Reasons To Do A Gap Year In The US
So why do a gap year program? Here are 10 benefits claimed from students who have spent a gap year in the US (data published by www.americangap.org)
1. It helped develop me as a person
2. It allowed me time for personal reflection
3. It increased my maturity and self-confidence
4. It helped me learn to interact with people from backgrounds different than my own
5. It helped me develop my communication skills
6. It increased my interest in knowing people and places around the world
7. It helped me develop a greater understanding and/or respect for the cultures and customs of others
8. It helped me acquire skills to be successful in my career
9. It increased my ‘readiness’ for college
10. Helped me (or will help me) get a job
How do I get started?
There are many options for spending a gap year in the US. Quality high schools/prep schools, colleges, and universities all around the US will welcome gap year students such as yourself! Admissions processes are often more flexible and the costs are lower than usual for the same first-year students. For instance, you do not always have to take the SAT or TOEFL tests, which saves preparation time. UStudy can also help with making last-minute arrangements.
For a fixed fee of 500 euro (excluding VAT), we can help you arrange a gap year program (including advising you on choice of school, translating your exam results and diploma, helping with school and visa applications).